Today, Tuesday, May 21st 2019, students from the TY Club Cainte in Coláiste Mhuirlinne/Merlin College were invited by Gael-Linn to Leopardstown to accept the Gaelbhratach award for 2018-2019.
This is the third successive year for the school to achieve Gaelbhratach status. Gaelbhratach is a scheme which awards recognition to schools for promoting the use and the awareness of the Irish language throughout the school and in the local community.
The Club Cainte has been actively working both inside and outside the school throughout this year to achieve the Gaelbhratach status for 2019.
This award recognises their active promotion of the Irish language. Here a list of some of the activities completed in Colaiste Mhuirlinne throughout this academic year 2018-2019 included:
• Connecting with the Actively Retired Friends in the Árd centre for Tae & Pléigh, classes and many sessions of song and indeed great friendships, once a month.
• Club Cainte every Thursday at lunchtime-with a variety of themes
• Day trip to Eile Mental for TY’s and 5th years- all as Gaeilge
• Participation in Gaeilge Gan Stad (speaking as Gaeilge for a whole school day)
• Seachtain na Gaeilge-a fun filled week of many activities. One very successful part of this week was Learn on the Leithreas where the TY’s decided to place an A4 vocab sheets as gaeilge in all the toilets in the school for the students…always learning the cúpla focal no matter where you are!
• Hurling Blitz, as gaeilge, with Coláiste an Chréagáin and Móinín na gCíseach
• Day trip to Coláiste an Chréagáin (paired school)
• Irish Dancing classes – Sean Nós Dancing with Rang Willow, including the brush dance
• Completing a study of the languages spoken in Coláiste Mhuirlinne.