GRETB Further Education and Training Department would like to wish all our learners the very best during these challenging times. In order to ensure continuity of learning, all our staff are engaged in supporting learners in whatever way works for the individual learner, whether that is using TEAMS, Webinars, e College, e mail, phone call, or GRETB YouTube. It is important for all learners to feel supported particularly when preparing for examinations and assessments and this can be stressful when factors such as what we are experiencing now enters the equation. Our tutors, teachers and instructors are on hand to answer any questions in relation to a learner’s programme and we welcome those questions.
Over the last number of years the GRETB FET Department has proactively engaged with the National Digital Skills Strategy and have been involved in developing the SOLAS Technology Enhanced Learning Framework. This Framework has allowed us to build capacity amongst our staff by engaging in QQI Level 6, 7 and 8 TEL qualifications. This in turn supports us in delivering programmes outside of the classroom setting.
Some updates from our TEL team:
The purpose of Technology Enhanced Learning (TEL) in GRETB is to use technology to facilitate and support innovative teaching and learning practice to ensure an effective, enjoyable and high quality learning experience for all Further Education and Training Learners.
- TEL Newsletter is being produced weekly to advise of TEL Professional Development Opportunities for staff. This newsletter will contain professional development opportunities for staff across the ETB.
- 192 courses currently being undertaken on eCollege by FET staff to upskill in areas such as IT, Gaeilge, Introduction to Moodle (online Virtual Learning Environment) and Digital Marketing
- GRETB Further Education Moodle has a number of courses for staff who wish to upskill including ECDL, Managing Conflict, Communicating Your Message Effectively.
- GRETB TEL Department will be delivering live online training in Thinglink and Kahoot next week.
- GRETB Further Education Moodle site is in place for learners across a range of GRETB FET centres. This site supports current learners to continue their courses online. Examples include Horticulture, IT, Digital Media and Healthcare.
- We have established a TEL PD support structure for any staff or learner having difficulty accessing courses.
- eCollege is now available free to everyone through www.FETCH.ie
- GRETB are currently developing a Digital Hub located at our FET Department in Mervue Business Park. This digital hub will offer opportunities to learners to develop skills such as podcasting, creating webinars, green screen training, virtual reality learning and an open learning space for learners to engage in online programmes in a supported centre.
This is a snapshot of what is happening in our FET Department to support our learners and we encourage all our learners and the wider community to link in with us as we can support them through these difficult times. By engaging in learning and upskilling through programmes such as those provided by eCollege, we will be in a better place when Covid 19 is a thing of the past.
Eithne Nic Dhonnchadha
Director of Further Education and Training