Definition of Community Education:
“Community Education is education and learning which is rooted in a process of employment, social justice, change, challenge, respect and collective consciousness. It is within the community and of the community, reflecting the developing needs of individuals and their locale. It builds the capacity of local communities to engage in developing responses to educational and structural disadvantage and to take part in decision-making and policy formation within the community. It is distinct from general adult education provision, due to both its ethos and to the methodologies it employs”*. Aontas, 2004, p18.
The purpose of the Community Education Service is to promote and/or develop community education initiatives in local community settings. The Community Education Service seeks to create opportunities for people to identify their learning needs, learn in their own communities and to support progression routes from this important base in the community, thus engaging communities in a process of empowerment and change.
To involve those who are most excluded in community education courses in order to build their confidence, to empower them as individuals to participate in education and help in the development of their community.
- to ensure the most excluded communities take part in community education initiatives
- to empower and build people’s capacity to participate in education initiatives
- to empower and build the people’s capacity to participate in the life of their community
- to encourage progression for groups or individuals where this is appropriate
- to gather information and research to feed into models of good practice and for information sharing
- To encourage learners to understand the social and political environment in which they live
Community Groups can now apply for either a Community Education Grant or Community Education Tuition Hours. Please be aware the GRETB reserves the right to allocate tuition hours even if a group express a preference for a grant. Groups may only select one type of support.
Galway City and County
Dónal Walsh (City and Connemara) email@example.com
Ciara Coy (South Galway) firstname.lastname@example.org
Marcella Reilly (North Galway) email@example.com