Data protection is about your fundamental right to privacy. Galway and Roscommon Education and Training Board (GRETB) has always kept your personal information safe and confidential.
The EU General Data Protection Regulations or ‘the GDPR’ came into effect on 25th of May 2018 and it replaces the existing Data Protection Laws in the European Union. The reason for the change is to give you more rights, control and understanding of how your personal data is being used.
Your rights under GDPR:
- Transparent information and communication
- Information and access to personal data
- Right of access by the data subject
- Right to rectification
- Right to erasure
- Right to restriction and processing
- Right to data portability
- Right to object to Automated individual decision-making, including profiling
Our Obligation to you:
- Obtain and process Personal Data Information lawfully, fairly and transparently
- Personal data must be collected for specified, explicit and legitimate purpose
- Ensure it is adequate, relevant and limited
- Keep it accurate and up-to-date
- Keep it in a form for no longer than necessary
- Keep it safe and secure
- The controller shall be responsible for, and be able to demonstrate compliance with the GDPR
The GDPR will have no impact on the services we provide to you.
Galway and Roscommon Education and Training Board (GRETB) as a Data Controller is committed to taking all necessary steps to ensure that the Personal and Special Category (sensitive) data collected and retained by GRETB Administration Offices, Schools, Colleges and Further Education and Training Centres/Courses/Programmes, is protected by and complies with Data Protection Legislation, the Articles of the EU General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR), and the sound legal basis identified for collection and use.
GRETB will take all necessary steps to uphold the privacy rights of data subjects as outlined by Data Protection Legislation. For this purpose, GRETB’s Data Protection Policies and Privacy Notices sets out, in writing, the manner in which Personal Data and Special Category Data relating to staff, students and other individuals (e.g. Parents/Guardians, GRETB Board members, Boards of management etc.) is used, shared and retained.
GRETB Data Protection Policies, CCTV Policy and Privacy Notices are now updated in light of GDPR and apply to all individuals of whom we collect personal or special category data e.g. Staff, Students, Board members, Parents/Guardians, and others insofar as they handle or process personal or special category data in the provision of services to GRETB.
To help you understand how and why Galway and Roscommon Education and Training Board processes your personal data, please read our Data Privacy Notices by clicking on the links in the boxes below:
- GRETB Data Protection Policy
- CCTV Policy Privacy Notice
- CCTV Policy
- Data Breach Protocol
- GRETB Records Management Policy
- GRETB Records Retention Schedule
- PLSS Data Protection Statement
- Privacy Statement – Students – Gaeilge – English
- Privacy Statement – Employees – Gaeilge – English
Our Data Protection Officer
We have assigned a Data Protection Officer (DPO) on an interim basis.
Her name and contact details are Aoife De Bháldraithe, 091 874548, email@example.com or Galway and Roscommon Education and Training Board, An Coiléar Bán, Athenry, Co. Galway. H65 AT81.
If you have any queries, please consult our Data Protection Policy (available at above) or contact our DPO.
Further information can be found at: